Lifestyle & Hobby Farm Insurance

Lifestyle & Hobby Farm Insurance

Do you live on a property larger than 5 acres? You may need to consider a few extra aspects to your insurance than you would with a standard home and contents policy.

Most home and contents insurers have a limit on the land size allowed under their standard home and contents policy. Five acres is generally the limit before they start to get antsy about the use of the property, liability exposure and farm machinery for example.

If you’re on acres, even if you don’t have animals or farm buildings, you still have a liability exposure on the land. Think someone falling into your dam, or injuring themselves on something lying in the back paddock. You’ve also likely to have more fencing than the average suburban house block, and if you’ve ever replaced a large enough portion of fencing, you know how expensive that can be!

Why do I need a special policy?

There are policies out there that are specifically geared for hobby farm or lifestyle property risks. They take into consideration how you use the property and what physical property you want to cover.

A small or hobby farm policy will cover off your home and contents under a domestic section (with all the bells and whistles of a standard home and contents policy available if you want those), as well as any non-domestic property (sheds, stables etc), machinery and improvements, your public liability and a host of other standard inclusions.

Can I have animals or livestock? Or earn an income from the property?

If you have a few horses, or maybe a small handful of sheep to keep the grass down, you have added liability exposure than if you didn’t have animals or livestock. Consider what would happen if your fences weren’t in good condition and a horse got out onto the road, causing a car accident. You could be held personally liable for the damages. This is where your standard home and contents policy is unlikely to fit the situation adequately and a farm policy is a better option.

A small or hobby farm insurance policy will also allow you to earn a small amount each year before you’re looking at needing a primary producing level policy. You might earn a bit of money from agistment, or raise a small amount of sheep or cattle to sell each year and this is usually fine however all insurers have different amounts you can earn before they don’t class you as a hobby or small farm any longer.

Need help with Lifestyle & Hobby Farm Insurance!

There are a number of good options in the market, however working closely with a broker to identify where your exposures are, and determine the best policy fit is the best way to ensure you and your property are appropriately covered.

We can also help with...

Business & Office Insurance

Owning and running a business comes with lots of risks. The smartest way to protect your equipment, stock and contents, is to take out a comprehensive Business Insurance policy.

Hospitality & Retail Insurance

Whether a corner fish and chip shop, a boutique cafe or a 100+ seat restaurant or everything in between, hospitality (and retail) businesses are always a hive of fast paced activity. With subtle music on discrete speakers, food being whizzed around on trays, loud groups of happy customers and hopefully loads of foot traffic every day, you need the right insurance to suit your business.

Hair & Beauty Insurance

Your job is to make your clients look and feel, a million dollars. We all know that feeling you get after a great cut and colour – the swish and smile – that’s what you’re selling as a Hair & Beauty professional.

Quote Request