What is the difference between Accidental Damage and Defined Events home and contents insurance?

What is the difference between Accidental Damage and Defined Events home and contents insurance?

Hey there! Are you trying to figure out the difference between Defined Events and Accidental Damage cover for home and contents insurance? Look no further!


First things first, let’s define what we’re talking about. Defined Events are specific types of incidents that are listed in your home and contents insurance policy. These are typically natural disasters, like fires, storms, or floods. Accidental Damage cover, on the other hand, is all of the things under a Defined Events policy PLUS protection against damage that is caused by accidents. This could include things like spilling a glass of red wine on your carpet or accidentally putting a hole in the wall.

Now that we’ve got that cleared up, let’s talk about the differences between the two. The biggest difference is the types of incidents that are covered. With Defined Events, you’re only covered for the specific incidents that are listed in your policy. So, if you live in an area that’s prone to bushfires and your policy includes coverage for bushfires, you’ll be covered if your home is damaged by a bushfire. But not all types of damage are covered; things like damage that has occurred over a long period of time where you were aware of it, or for damage as a result of lack of maintenance, or it might cover the resulting damage from an event (like a leaking hot water system) but not to fix the actual pipe or apparatus that’s leaking.

Accidental Damage cover on the other hand, provides a broader range of protection. As long as the damage was caused by an accident, you’ll be covered. This means that if you accidentally put a hole in the wall while hanging a picture, you’ll be covered. Or if you accidentally spill a drink on your carpet, you’ll be covered for the damage. This is on top of all the types of events that are covered under a Defined Events policy, making it the most comprehensive option of the two.

Another key difference between the two is the cost of the coverage. Defined Events coverage is your typical level of cover in standard home and contents insurance policies, whereas Accidental Damage cover is a step up, and premiums are usually a little higher for the more broader coverage.

So, which one is right for you? It really depends on your specific needs and situation. If you live in an area that’s prone to natural disasters and you want to be sure you’re covered for those specific incidents, Defined Events coverage is a good option. But if you’re looking for more comprehensive protection and you’re willing to pay a little extra for it, Accidental Damage cover is the way to go.

One final thing to keep in mind is that every insurance company and policy is different. Be sure to read the fine print and understand exactly what’s covered (and what’s not) before you decide which type of coverage is right for you.

In the end, the most important thing is that you have the peace of mind knowing that your home and belongings are protected. So, whether you choose Defined Events coverage or Accidental Damage cover, make sure you have the protection you need to keep your home and contents safe.

Need a quote? Let’s get started!

Leave some details in the form below and Laura will be in touch to organise your quotes asap.

We can also help with...

Home & Contents Insurance Ballarat

Home and Contents Insurance doesn’t have to be complicated, but it pays to know the basics and make sure you understand that not all insurance companies and policies are the same, despite what some might tell you!

Landlords Insurance

“Do I really need special insurance for my rental property, or will the usual home insurance do the job?”

Lifestyle & Hobby Farm Insurance

Do you live on a property larger than 5 acres? You may need to consider a few extra aspects to your insurance than you would with a standard home and contents policy.

Quote Request