What is Owner Builders Insurance?

What is Owner Builders Insurance?

If you’re about to embark on building your own home yourself or planning on an extension or renovation of an existing home without a registered builder, you’re considered an Owner Builder. You need to consider a specific sort of insurance to protect your physical build and materials, as well as your Public Liability exposure.

What sort of insurance does an Owner Builder need?

There are a couple of important aspects to the insurance you need to consider as an Owner Builder;

Construction (property) cover

This provides cover for a variety of insured perils like theft, vandalism, fire, storm and wind, water damage etc (and in some policies, accidental damage) to the physical building in progress (called the “contract works”) and the materials on-site. This can also include any minor and major plant and equipment if not insured separately, as well as your tools and other equipment related to the build.

Public Liability cover

This covers your liability exposure on-site as the property owner and principal contractor or project manager, for any claims of third party injury or property damage as a result of your negligence. As the Owner Builder, you are considered responsible for all sub-contractors and visitors on-site and each insurance company will have different guidelines around how this impacts your exposure and premium. As a general matter of good business practice, you should always ensure you obtain copies of all sub-contractors own Public Liability insurance as well as their workers compensation insurance Certificates of Currency.

Pre-Existing Property cover

If you’re renovating or extending an existing property that is insured under a standard Home and Contents insurance, you need to let your insurers know of your plans and the value of the extension or renovation.

All Home and Contents  insurance policies have limits on the value of building works on the property that they won’t cover above (usually in the region of $70,000). At this point, you may also have issues with insuring your contents, especially if there will be openings to the roof or walls where security or weather-tightness is compromised.

If your Home and Contents policy won’t cover the build as it is over their limit, cover for the pre-existing structure (i.e. the original part of the house not being extended or renovated) needs to be arranged elsewhere.

Owner Builder Contract Works Insurance

Luckily there are insurers out there that combine all of the above into one policy, that will cover your build for damage from insured perils, your liability, and your pre-existing property if required, under the one policy.

Owner Builder Insurance is important to get right as there are numerous considerations at play. Working with an experienced broker will mean getting the right mix and ensuring all aspects of your project are protected, giving you peace of mind so you can focus on the build.

Call me today to discuss your project.

Need a quote? Let’s get started!

Leave some details in the form below and Laura will be in touch to organise your quotes asap.

We can also help with...

Home & Contents Insurance Ballarat

Home and Contents Insurance doesn’t have to be complicated, but it pays to know the basics and make sure you understand that not all insurance companies and policies are the same, despite what some might tell you!

Landlords Insurance

“Do I really need special insurance for my rental property, or will the usual home insurance do the job?”

Lifestyle & Hobby Farm Insurance

Do you live on a property larger than 5 acres? You may need to consider a few extra aspects to your insurance than you would with a standard home and contents policy.

Quote Request